Thursday, June 26, 2008

Todd Bentley and the Lakeland Revival (Part 1)

A friend of mine recently e-mailed me asking me to take a look at a pdf document which is supposed to be a theological defence of the "Lakeland revival" and Todd Bentley (I will refer to him as TB from now on).

I want to say from the start that I do believe in miraculous signs and that they can happen today. God saved me and changed me and that is a miracle in itself. I have also been witness to miraculous healings and words of knowledge. I have always been someone who is willing to lay hands on the sick (even strangers) as the book of James tells us to do.

Personally, I have never been very interested in the ministry of TB nor payed much attention to it. But so many people have asked me to comment recently that I decided to check out what's going on down in Lakeland with TB.

Christian brother or sister, please be careful and test all things with the word of God including what I am saying here. Some people might be wondering who I am and by what authority I speak. I have no authority in and of myself but the Bible does speak with authority on this subject so I ask you to consider what is said in the light of Scripture. TB's website itself says this: "We hold the Bible to be trustworthy, the only supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct. Scripture is our source of revelation of God, the knowledge of salvation, the origin of all things and of the hereafter-it is the final Court of Appeal on all points of doctrine, life and godliness". So the Bible is what I will evaluate TB's ministry by.

Let me ask you, the reader, this question from the outset. Have you embraced the "Lakeland revival" because of the signs and wonders or did you evaluate it from Scripture first? Some people have actually said to me that the "Lakeland revival" is a true revival from God because of the signs and wonders. What does the Bible say about this concerning signs and wonders.

Mat 24:24 For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

Mat 7:22-23 On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'

These verses do not prove that the "Lakeland Revival" is false or true. But they do tell us that signs and wonders are not proof that it is of Christ. We should be very careful because Jesus warned us that the great deception that will happen in the last days will be because of signs and wonders.

To be continued tomorrow - The Gospel according to Todd Bentley

Go On To Part 2

1 comment:

Cameron Buettel said...

Todd Bentley is well on the way to becoming an ugly footnote of history and a tragic reproach on the Name of Christ.